MRU notches 4-3 comeback win to complete sweep

MRU notches 4-3 comeback win to complete sweep

University of Regina Sports Information

REGINA - The University of Regina men's hockey team fell in overtime on Saturday afternoon, as Mount Royal University took a 4-3 comeback win at The Co-operators Centre.

David Stephens, Zack Henry, Matthew Brown and Jesse Lees scored as Mount Royal moves to 15-6-1. Tyler Bell, Tristan Frei and Ian McNulty replied for the Cougars, who drop to 3-17-2.

Just as they did the night before, Mount Royal opened the scoring on Saturday. It was Stephens scoring for the visitors just after the Cougars had killed off a Brody Luhning elbowing penalty. The third-year winger took a feed from Grant Baker and took off down the open left side of the ice after a collision had wiped out a Cougar defender. Stephens ripped a slapshot from the circle that beat Mitch Kilgore upstairs and put MRU up 1-0. MRU goalie Colin Cooper also assisted on the goal for his first point of the season.

Mount Royal had a chance to add to its lead before the end of the period, but a great glove save by Kilgore on a high shot by Matthew Brown thwarted an MRU two-on-one.

Regina evened things up at the 7:12 mark of the second, as McNulty fed the puck back to the point on a delayed rush and Bell stepped into the slot to fire a wrist shot over the glove of Cooper. Kirk Bear, who moved to the forward position for Saturday's contest, also earned an assist on Bell's third goal.

Bell's goal sparked the Cougar attack, as the home team scored two goals in less than a minute starting with Frei's sixth of the season at the 13:16 mark. The Cougars were on their first powerplay of the afternoon, and Cody Fowlie put a wrist shot from the blue line towards the net. The puck deflected right onto the waiting stick of Frei who made no mistake from the side of the net.

McNulty picked up his third goal of the weekend and eighth of the season just 54 seconds later, scooping up the puck in the MRU end after some nice moves through the neutral zone by Tyler King. Fowlie picked up his second assist of the game and third of the weekend as McNulty beat Cooper to the glove side.

After the Cougars killed off more than a minute of five-on-three advantage in the third period, MRU finally broke through off an impressive individual effort from Henry. The third-year skater went from his own blue line, weaving past Cougar defenders before beating Kilgore with a low wrist shot to the blocker side.

MRU tied the game up less than 90 seconds later after a Cougar clearing attempt was knocked down at the line by Devin Gannon. Tanner Olstad picked up the puck and slid it across to Brown who was waiting in front, and the MRU captain converted to even the score.

The visitors completed the comeback in overtime after two minutes on the powerplay for two different Cougar infractions. The Cougar special teams hadn't allowed a goal on any of the previous seven penalties, but MRU finally came away with a goal thanks to Lees. His slapshot from the point deflected off a Cougar stick and slipped through the five hole of Kilgore to end the game with just nine seconds left in overtime.

Kilgore was stellar in net for Regina, making 32 saves in just his fourth start between the pipes. Cooper stopped nine shots for the win.

The Cougars will be back in action for a home-and-home series next weekend against the Saskatchewan Huskies. Friday's game will take place in Saskatoon before Saturday evening's rematch at The Co-operators Centre.